Lentil Vegetable Chili
Serves: 4-6 Prep Time: 15 min. Cook Time: 45 min.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tsp. chili powder
- 1 (16 oz.) bag of brown lentils
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans no-salt diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (32 oz.) cartons vegetable stock
- ⅓ cup fresh chopped cilantro
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Optional toppings: sour cream, cheddar cheese, croutons, tortilla chips, avocado
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and red bell pepper (or other preferred vegetables); sauté the vegetables for 8 minutes or until soft and lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in garlic and chili powder; cook for 1 minute.
- Add lentils, tomatoes, bay leaf and stock. Season with salt and ground black pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to medium-low and simmer and let it sit partially covered for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Remove from the heat and discard the bay leaf.
- Stir in cilantro and serve.