Chickpea Breakfast Burrito Bowls
Serves: 4 Prep Time: 20 min. Cook Time: 40 min.
Ingredients for Blackened Chickpeas:
- 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tbsp regular paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (see notes)
- 3/4 tsp ground white pepper (see notes)
- 3/4 tsp ground black pepper (see notes)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1 ½ cups of cooked chickpeas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Ingredients for Bowl:
- 1 cup Ancient Harvest Organic Antioxidant Blend (or use rice or grain of choice)
- 1 ½ cup blackened chickpeas
- 1 cup guacamole (or 1 well-mashed avocado)
- 1 tbsp freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 head red cabbage chopped
- 1 cup prepared salsa of choice
- Fresh cilantro (optional) for serving
Directions for Blackened Chickpeas:
- Mix spices and heat oil in pan to medium heat.
- Add chickpeas to pan, then spices. Stir about 5 minutes until chickpeas are lightly crisped.
Directions for Bowl:
- Combine the rice blend with 2 and 1/4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 25-30 minutes or until all of the water is absorbed. Remove from the heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork. (Note: also works in a rice cooker).
- If you haven't already, prepare your blackened chickpeas according to the instructions.
- To prepare each spicy chickpea breakfast burrito bowl, add 1/2 cup of cooked rice blend to a bowl. To the bowl, add about 3/8 cup blackened chickpeas (a fourth of the recipe); a big handful of chopped cabbage; 1/4 cup salsa (or to taste); and top with 1/4 cup of the avocado mixture. Garnish with fresh cilantro if desired, and serve.