Colorful Vegetable Fajitas
Serves: 4-8 Prep Time: 15 min. Cook Time: 4-6 hrs.
- 8 (8 inch) whole wheat flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound dry beans (black or pinto) can substitute canned beans
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 yellow squash, halved and sliced into strips
- Any other of your favorite vegetables, diced!
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Rinse and soak dry beans overnight. Rinse and cook in crockpot on low for 4-6 hours until beans are soft. (If you don’t have a crock pot, follow directions for stovetop cooking.)
- Follow directions for cooking rice on stovetop (Rice cookers are great, easy, and convenient!)
- In a 10 inch skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onions, red and green peppers, and garlic; stir to coat with oil. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook for 5 minutes. Stir squash into vegetables.
- Season vegetables with cumin, chili powder, and black pepper. Add additional seasoning to taste.
- Cook for 5 more minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Spoon vegetable mixture evenly down the centers of tortillas
- Add beans, rice, pico de gallo, salsa, avocado and/or hot sauce
- Roll up tortillas, and serve.