Vegetables with Curry Spiced Chickpeas
Serves: 8 Prep Time: 35 min. Cook Time: 15 min.
- 1 large sweet onions, chopped
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 medium yellow summer squashes, seeded and cubed (about 6 cups)
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 fresh thyme springs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- In a large saucepan, sauté onions and leek in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add squash; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in the broth, thyme, and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Discard thyme sprigs. Cool slightly. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan. Stir in lemon juice and hot pepper sauce; heat through. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and lemon peel.