Chickpea and Kidney Bean Chili
Serves: 2-4 Prep Time: 15 min. Cook Time: 2-3 hours
- ½ cup dry chickpeas/garbanzo beans, soaked overnight (or 1 can cooked)
- ½ cup dry kidney beans, soaked overnight (or 1 can cooked)
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 green bell pepper (other colors are okay)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn (optional)
- 1 can whole tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 Tbsp chili powder, more to taste
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano (or some fresh)
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- to taste salt & pepper
- If using dry beans, soak them overnight in plenty of water. Before cooking, chop up the onion, garlic, green pepper and celery.
- Heat oil in a large pot and sauté the onions and garlic until soft and transparent.
- Add the other green pepper, celery and dry spices. Sauté a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add a can of tomatoes and break up into smaller chunks.
- Add beans and tomato juice and stir. Add a little water, if needed, to cover all ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, turn to low heat and cover with lid. Let simmer for about 1 hour if using canned beans. And up to 1.5 to 2 hours if using dry beans or until they are soft. Check occasionally to stir and add water if too low.
- Once beans are desired softness, taste and adjust the spices if needed. If too acidic from the tomatoes, add a teaspoon or so of sugar to reduce the acidity. Serve into bowls and top with your favorite toppings!